1Basic Notes : Classroom lesson plans/links to power points
Click on the link below and find the "preposition resources" tab. Click on each of the two PPT presentations and go through the slides taking any notes that you feel you will need. Refer back to the PPTs as you need to. You may need a refresher on this information even if you have a basic knowledge of prepositions and prepositional phrases.
2Preposition Online practice: Items to print/turn in: verification for 4 online quizzes & answers to 5 questions on this page.
You will be directed to various ONLINE resources. You should complete at least 4 of the quizzes you find there and print verification for each you have completed. For example: you may complete an online quiz and print from file the final screen that provides your score. You may also complete the online tutorials for extra help if you find that you need it during the quizzes you take. Pay special attention to the ONLINE WRITING LAB (once you click on it, you will see that it is the Purdue Owl website) for information on infinitives that you WILL USE LATER. Answer these questions from that website. Write the questions/answers on a piece of notebook paper. You will turn this in once you are finished with your WEB JOG! 1. What is the difference between an infinitive phrase and a prepositional phrase? 2. What is the common component of the two types of phrases? 3. How can you tell the difference between them (in your own words)? 4. Give a labeled example of each.http://ethemes.missouri.edu/themes/1665
3List of Prepositions to use for Santa Directions
This is NOT an exhaustive list of prepositions! There are one-word prepositions as well as compound (or complex) prepositions. See the PDF file on my PT Notes page (in the same place as the PPTS) to view a file with many examples of many, many different prepositions used in various ways. There are also printable quizzes in there. To print any of those pages simply expand the print box and choose to print only certain pages of the document. See me with any questions.http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/prepositions-list.htm
4Santa Directions : Application of Knowledge Items to turn in-- a graphic organizer showing your pre-writing
Preview these instructions for your "Prepositions in Writing" activity-- Santa Directions. You will be provided with a due date for the final draft. Begin planning/prewriting your rough draft by creating your favorite type of graphic organizer as planning for this assignment.
Prepositions in Writing Activity
Giving Santa Directions on Christmas Eve
Name ____________________________________ Period _______
You want Santa to be able to come to your house, right? So… using the list of 50 prepositions, you will give him directions from Trafford Middle School to your house. Now, remember—Santa travels much differently than you or I do—He flies…in the air…with a sleigh! Therefore, he will not being using streets as we would—he may go over, under, above, around, toward or beyond, objects/bridges/trees, etc….and he may come near, upon, within, across, any of the “obstacles” in your neighborhood! You get the idea! Use your navigational skills to get Santa to your house in the most interesting way you can! Remember—he has many places to visit!
Your final draft is due on __________________________ and is worth 25 points. Have fun!
Turn in all three papers together—this page, your draft, and your final copy!
**Keep your directions to ONE well-written paragraph with 6-8 sentences--(TEXXXI) (______/5 points)
I will be looking for an introductory sentence, transitional words and a conclusion!
**Be sure to use at least 10 DIFFERENT prepositional phrases (BE SURE TO CIRCLE THE OBJECTS) in your writing. (__________/10 points)
**Have a peer or an adult edit your first draft (and sign it) to be SURE they are the best directions you can give! (_____/2 points)
**Identify all of your prepositional phrases by either underlining them or highlighting them… (_____/2 points)
**Make sure to use the composition format heading (_____/1 point)
**Type or write NEATLY for your final draft—no spelling, grammar, usage, or mechanics errors! (_____/4 points)
**Title your writing (_____/1 point)
5Adjectival or adverbial phrase? complete this tutorial before moving on to the next step.
This page is an online tutorial to help you tell the difference between adjectival & adverbial phrases.http://www.eliterateeducation.com/site/prepositions.htm
6Adjectival or adverbial phrase? Print a copy of the page from file & complete according to ALL directions. Turn in with your p
1. What is the difference between an adverb and an adjective phrase? Answer: Adjective phrases are prepositional phrases that modify nouns or pronouns. Adverb phrases are prepositional phrases that modify verbs, adjectives or adverbs. 2. Identify each prepositional phrase and label it as an adjective or adverb phrase. Rembrandt is well known as a painter of self-portraits. Answer: of self-portraits, adjective phrase. 3. Identify each prepositional phrase and label it as an adjective or adverb phrase. The rain fell in sheets. Answer: in sheets, adverb phrase. 4. Identify each prepositional phrase and label it as an adjective or adverb phrase. On December 7, 1941, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Answer: On December 7, 1941, adverb phrase. 5. Identify each prepositional phrase and label it as an adjective or adverb phrase. Alcatraz was a prison on an island off the coast of San Francisco. Answer: on an island, adjective phrase; off the coast, adjective phrase; of San Francisco, adjective phrase.http://department.monm.edu/english/kroberts/english201/project2002/group10/phrasework2.htm
7Which type of phrase is it? Gerund, preposition, participial or infinitive?
This is a quiz that gives you feedback. See how you do!http://www.grammaruntied.com/phrases/phrasepractice.html
8Now that you have completed all of the steps...
Have you completed/printed all of these items?
1. viewed the PPT for any "new" or "unfamiliar" information & taken any notes you may need?
2. completed all required online practice (4 quizzes) and printed out the final sheets for each from step 2?
3. answered the 5 questions on step 2?
4. completed a prewriting graphic organizer for your "Santa Directions" writing assignment from step 4?
5. practiced identifying prepostional phrases as either adjectival or adverbial by completing the online tuturial & by then printing out & completing the practice page on step 6?